The Perfect Recipe | Pancake Day with Rupa Bodhani
Coconut Crepes with Cardamom Spiced Yoghurt & Nuts
Anyone who’s ever sought to conjure up a recipe with a bit more flair and flavour than lemon and sugar knows that making something delicious with what you have in your kitchen is a difficult task to master (especially if you only attempt it once a year!)
Pitfalls abound, from whisking up a too-thin batter to being overambitious with pairings. But when done right (thank you Rupa!), they are undeniably worth the effort: light, creamy and fluffy, these ideal crepes boasts flavour, rich nuttiness and an indulgent yoghurt topping, delivering just the right hits of acidity and sweetness.
Here, our friend Rupa Bodhani offers up her own take on a Goan inspired Coconut Crepe served with cardamom spiced yoghurt and nuts:
Recipe Instructions for Pancakes: Makes 4 Crepes
- 200ml - Coconut Milk (I used tin)
- 80g – Plain Flour
- 2tbsp – Unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp -Greek Yogurt
- 2 Cardamom pods (crushed to powder)
- 1/4tsp – Nutmeg
- 2tsp – Maple syrup (or honey)
- 1/2tsp – Vanilla Essence
- 2tbsp – Desiccated coconut
- 2tbsp - Flaked almonds
- 1tbsp – Crushed Pistachios
- Garnish – Rose Petals (optional)
- 1 -Lime zest and Juice
- First toast your flaked almonds and crushed pistachios till lightly coloured, keep them moving and ensure they do not burn, once done leave to one side.
- While they toast, make the spiced yogurt by mixing all ingredients together, once incorporated leave to one side for later.
- Now whisk your batter together, first mix your coconut milk and flour ensuring there are no lumps, then whisk in your egg.
- Heat a pan and add a thin layer of butter to coat the whole pan, take a kitchen towel and lightly move the butter around if you have to. Now put a ladle of batter in the centre of the pan and lift and swirl the pan around till the mixture thinly coats the whole surface, let this cook till the edges look a little browned and then flip the pancake, roughly 1 min each side. Keep repeating that process till you have made 4 crepes.
To serve get a serving dish, fold your crepes into triangles, smother in spiced yogurt, then scatter toasted nuts and rose petals if using and then a generous amount of lime zest and juice. Enjoy!
Happy Pancake Day x
Rupa Bodhani @the_social_cook_